Pages

September 28, 2007

Mike's Homecoming

Mike got here on September 18th, after a long flight from Baghdad to Kuwait to Germany to Maine, and finally to Fort Lewis! We didn't think he'd be coming until the next day, but we found out a couple days before he got here that he would be coming a day earlier. Mom and Dad came to help with the move and were leaving the next morning, so it worked out great and they were able to see him. Mike's Dad was also here waiting for Mike to come. It was such an awesome experience! The soldiers arrived at McChord Airforce Base around 10 p.m. At about that same time, we arrived at the gym on Fort Lewis where we would be meeting them, and were able to see the soldiers (via video) walking from the plane. I stood and watched, wondering if I would see Mike (it was hard to see everyone) and suddenly, there he was, walking across the big screen hanging on the wall of the gym! I remember noticing that he was chewing gum, and thought, "He never chews gum". I forgot about this until a few days ago when I saw him with a pack of gum, and remembered how I had noticed that on the video. He didn't like chewing gum before going to Iraq. Now he chews gum. Anyway, I digress. Back to that night at the gym. After seeing him on the video we had to wait a long time for the soldiers to actually get to the gym. They had to take care of some things at McChord and then be bussed to Fort Lewis. They finally got there after 11:30, and they were dismissed to see us at around Midnight. Despite the late hour, it was a very excited crowd in that gym!


Avary fell asleep soon after we got to the gym. But she woke up when the soldiers started coming in.



Sam was wide awake the whole time.



Yea! Mike found us in the crowd! Our first time together in 11 months.



Avary saluting her Daddy. She learned how to do this right before we went to the gym.



We all had smiles glued to our faces the whole time, except for Sam who was tired and confused. I don't think we could have stopped smiling if we tried!

(I'm trying to get a video clip of this on here, but so far no luck. Hopefully I'll get it to work)

8 comments:

  1. Precious, precious, precious! I'm SO happy for you guys! Welcome home, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Hooray! Welcome home Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I got a little misty eyed when I was looking at those pictures. I know how long you and Mike have waited for this moment and I couldn't be happier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Mike! I loved the pictures! I'm SO glad you guys are back together again - You are both amazing! I, along with Challis, got a little misty-eyed looking at those pictures. What a great day it must've been!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEA!! Welcome back Mike! We're SO happy that you guys are all back together again. What an adorable family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't help but smile the whole way through this post. I'm so happy you guys are happy AND together! So, what next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Shay! I'm totally crying sitting here reading this. I'm so glad you guys are all together again. I can totally understand the perma-grins you would have on your faces after that. How awesome! Welcome home, Mike, and thank you for serving our country!

    Oh yeah, I had no idea your little Sam's birthday was Sept. 14. How fun that our Sam's share a birthday! He is such a cutie, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike and Shay~
    We are so glad that your family can finally be together again! I, too, got teary eyed looking at those touching pictures. Welcome home Mike! Shay, I am sorry I didn't get to see you again before you moved. Keep in touch and hopefully we can see you soon.

    ReplyDelete