One day in September (when it was still warm) we went to Gelterswoog, a lake near our house. Mike, Avary and Sam took a row-boat out for awhile, while Will and I wandered around. Well, Will wandered and I followed. When Mike and the kids got back, we hung out on the beach and dock for a little while. The kids played in the water, and had so much fun. We didn't bring swimsuits, so we just let them wear their undies. Believe me, that is nothing here. If there had actually been any visitors (besides a few elderly people and us) there that day, there probably would have been many little kids wearing only their birthday suits. That's just they way it is here.
After all these pictures had been taken, Will had a little mishap. It just about gave me a heart attack. The kids were in the water. Will and I were standing on the dock, and Mike was standing further down the dock talking to a man who works there. Will had been putting the kids Crocs into the water, and then trying to pull them out again. I knew he was doing this, and was really paranoid about him falling in, so I was right with him, making sure he didn't lean too far over the water. It was probably about a foot and a half deep. Well, I guess I let my guard down for a second, and in that moment, Will went right into the water. I'm pretty sure he went head first and did kind of a flip in the water and ended up on his back. I heard the splash, and jumped in to pull him out. The poor kid was soaked and had a mouth full of water, but started crying a second after a pulled him out. I took him over to a bench on the beach and stripped off his wet clothes, changed his soaked diaper, and put my jacket on him. Then I just held him close to warm him up and make him feel better. He got over it sooner than I did. He was ready to get down and walk around again, but I just wanted to hold him some more. Thank goodness he held his breath. I know that it wasn't really a big deal. I was standing right there and was able to snatch him right back out of the water, but still... it shook me up a bit.
Anyway, after that the kids played in the water for a little longer and Will walked around wearing my pink sweatshirt that looked like a dress on him. The grandparent aged Germans that were there thought he was funny and stopped to talk to him whenever we met on the path.
It was a fun day (excepting the falling into the lake incident), and the next day we got to go pick up Grammy from the airport!



Oh my heck Will...don't give your mother a heart attack like that anymore. Stories like these make me paranoid to become a mother myself one day.
ReplyDeleteAlso Shay, you looked quite pretty that day. White becomes you.
Will falling into the water was actually pretty funny. I thought so.
ReplyDelete