Every time we face a big change in our lives or have to say goodbye to our loved ones for a time, I have to face a personal struggle that is caused by the awareness of the passage of time. For some reason, this is one of my biggest challenges. It is one of the few things that has the potential to make me really teary for awhile. I guess there is something about knowing that years, months, weeks, days, and moments are constantly passing and we can never relive those moments once they pass. It's really not a bad thing. It's actually wonderful to see kids growing. It's great that as our parents grow older, their lives can be enriched by new little ones in the form of grandchildren, and that we all grow wiser as we grow older, and get to have new experiences. But thoughts of the passing time come with both happy and sad feelings, and the struggle for me is which feelings will be stronger. I always want the happy ones to come out on top, of course. :) So like I said, this is a challenge, but I do believe I am getting closer to mastering it. It's not that the sad feelings are going away. It's just my perspective of them changes little by little, and I'm getting better at feeling both the sadness and happiness at the same time, and being okay with that. And that is a good feeling.
Here are some pictures that remind me of one my favorite activities we did as a family in the few months we were living in our house after Mike returned from Iraq. We would put the kids in the stroller and go for a jog together. We didn't do this as often as we should have :), but enough to make some great memories. We would just jog near our neighborhood, and whenever we got back to the house, Avary wanted to play soccer in the backyard. It was so fun to kick the ball around with her. It's nice that she's young enough that it doesn't matter that we are not athletically gifted.:) Sam would sit on the grass and explore the yard a little bit. Sometimes he would get in on the soccer action too. We usually ended up wet, and a little muddy, but it was worth it.
This is on the trail near our house. The tree broke in a windstorm, so they were able to stand on one side of the trunk like that.

OH, shay! You totally put into words what I have felt so many times. And I've often wondered if I feel that way because I have always lived far away from family or what, but I get those feelings all the time. Your post got me a little weepy because sometimes it's just so bittersweet!
ReplyDeleteI loved all your pictures from Idaho. The snow looks like so much fun. I'm so excited to see it again ourselves in a few weeks. Looks like you guys had a great Christmas. Good luck with the next few weeks. I'm glad we have blogs to stay in touch! Take care!
Sweetie, the fact that you feel that way means you're taking the time to stop & smell the roses; to reflect on the really important things. Some people just keep themselves so busy with some really unimportant things that they don't take the time to savor the sweet times enough to miss them as they pass. The super thing is that there are always more and more wonderful times just ahead! Sure love you, hon! Mom
ReplyDeleteWell, Shay, you and me both. Hopefully, as you are feeling somewhat sad/happy in Korea, just know that I am feeling sad/happy in Boston as well. I think that this is what families are for...when things get tough, we are supposed to know that we aren't alone...and you Shay, are not alone. I think of you and your family often and can't wait to find ways to keep in touch and see you guys soon (relatively).
ReplyDeleteShay, you have made so many wonderful memories in sometimes adverse conditions. It was great wandering through your memory lane with you.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you will be leaving Ft. Lewis so soon. (When DO you actually leave?) We were really hoping to be able to spend some time with you all while you were up there.
Good luck to all of you in the adventures ahead of you.