Pages

October 24, 2007

Fort Lewis... Just Kidding!

Well, now that we are pretty much settled in I was going to write a post about our life here and plans for being here for the next couple of years, BUT... just when I was getting settled into our house, just when I was about to dig out the spot for the garden, and decorate the kids room, and start a new calling at church, and get to know the neighbors, and train for a marathon, and sign Avary up for a class, just after buying two large pieces of furniture, just when I thought I had it all figured out...
Uncle Sam has decided to send us to KOREA!

(Actually we had a choice with this, and we are TOTALLY EXCITED!)

We are really happy and grateful to have this opportunity, but I admit, I experienced a roller coaster of emotions last week when we found out about it. I already have a lot of happy memories associated with this home, and was looking forward to many more. Of course, it's post housing so I knew we'd have to leave sometime anyway, but I sure didn't think we'd be leaving so soon. But like I said, we are very excited and are now trying to make preparations for the big move to Seoul, South Korea that will be happening sometime in January or February.

Of course there are Pros and Cons. Here are the main ones that stand out in my mind:
The Cons
1. Not seeing our families as often as we would have liked for the next couple of years.
2. Leaving here (I love it here), and moving again so soon. Although, some of our stuff is still packed so that makes it easier.
The Pros
1. We will be together for at least two years. Mike's new job is going to be in a unit that is assigned to Korea permanently.
2. Having the chance to live in a foreign country and all of the experiences that will bring.

Soon after we got here, Mike and I were looking for ringtones for our phones and I came across a Jack Johnson song called "Home" that immediately became my ringtone because I loved the lyrics so much. It says:

"So I try to understand what I can't hold in my hand, and wherever we are, home is there too."

Those words totally captured my feelings at the time, and have even more significance now. After getting the ringtone, I got on itunes and listened to the whole song. I loved it even more because at the end it says:

"Home is wherever we are if love is there too."

So true.

We'll only be here for 2 or 3 more months, but here is a picture or our house anyway. We love it!

Here is the back yard. We'll keep getting in lots of play time back here before we leave.

The back of the house.

One day we noticed a trail head right off of our street and took off on it. It follows a creek through the forest behind our house. We could hear dogs on our street barking and kids playing as we walked along the trail. It's very pretty, and feels very secluded because the forest is so dense here.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Shay, I'm so excited that I found all of you guys again (the old DT clan). I can't wait to catch up on everything that you have been up to. (training for a marathon and moving to Korea?!) oh my. But what a cute family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay, you forgot to list "missing some fiddy fiver reunions" in your list of cons. Just kidding. What a great experience for your family! Do you know how long you'll be there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That is exciting! Although I'll definitely miss you in any fiddy fiver get togethers over the next few years. Good thing I got to see you over the summer!!! When I told Kyle, he goes, "Oh man, I'm SO jealous!" What an amazing experience. We wish you guys the best of luck over there.

    Your house is so cute! I can see why you're sad to leave it. What a great yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara, I'm so glad you found our blogs too! I'm really excited to catch up with you as well.

    Ginger and Laura, missing fiddy fiver reunions definitely qualifies as a con! But we'll only be there for 2 years, so hopefully I won't miss too many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Korea! That is so cool. I guess you'll be speaking Korean soon. Have you been out of the country before? Your house is adorable. I am jealous of the beautiful trail and the sedcluded spot. It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just finished browsing through all of your blog and now I feel a little more caught up with your family's life. First off, Sam is only 3 days younger than Kaitlyn--crazy. Also, Avary is such a good blend of both of you...she is so precious...Sam too (especially in the army outfits). And lastly, my prayers are going to be a lot more detailed when I pray for the soldiers...what a huge thing Mike is doing for our country. You both are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shazer?!?!?! How exciting!!!!!! I am happy for you guys! Chris wants to live out of the country for a while SO bad, so he will be jealous. I can't wait to see pics and hear about all of your adventures. What a beautiful place you live in now....with all of the trees, it reminds me of home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! That is very exciting!! Living in Asia can be quite the beast at times, but I know you'll love it. What a great opportunity for you and your kids?! I hope you like kimchi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shay~
    I can't believe you are moving to Korea! That will be such a neat experience for you. I admire you for doing it, because I don't know if I could. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome you guys! Wow, I can't believe it. I'm glad that you'll at least be together while you're there. What an exciting adventure!

    ReplyDelete