Pages

February 3, 2007

Everyday Heroes

In a recent post I told about a man that I heard President Bush tell about who is an everyday hero. It makes me happy to hear about good things that people are doing. Negativity and disrespect are prevalent in our society today, and it is easy for me to get caught up in all of it as I'm pracitcally addicted to the news right now, with Mike being in Iraq. But there is so much good happening too, and I'd really like to talk about the good stuff. Here are just a couple of examples of everyday heroes that I have seen.

When I was growing up there was a boy in our ward with muscular dystrophy. He was older than I was, and when he was in high school I remember often seeing him riding around town in his wheelchair. He and his sister (who also had muscular dystrophy) were heroes in my eyes, as well as their family members. But, this story is about another hero. I noticed that this boy was often wearing a Letterman's jacket from his high school. I thought it was neat that he had one and because of how often he wore it, I think he must have felt good being able to show his school pride and be a part of that high school spirit, even though he was unable to physically participate in sports. I later found out that the jacket was given to him by somebody who had attended the high school years before and lettered in football.

The hero in this story? My Dad.

There is a boy in a local elementary school who is deaf and began kindergarten a few years ago with many challenges because he had been sick a lot as a child, and was developmentally behind other kids his age. Most of the adults in his life felt that he probably would not be able to ever catch up or learn as much as other kids. This boy is now in second grade and is a hero in my eyes because of the challenges he has worked through, but this story is about another hero. His interpreter struggled through that whole year with his difficult behavioral and academic issues. But, she stayed with it and is still working with him today. He has come leaps and bounds since kindergarten. Because of his interpreter he has learned how to read, and can keep up with his grade level in school. His behavior has also improved dramatically. This interpreter's work with these issues has gone above and beyond what many would say is within the realm of an interpreter's job.

The hero in this story? My Mom.

There are so many people that inspire me to do better. Who are some of your everyday heroes? I'd love to hear your stories.

8 comments:

  1. Ok, I've got a couple of heroes for you. The first one is this hot, amazing girl. She takes care of two kids by herself in her husband's absense and does an awesome job taking care of them. Her strength helps keep her husband going while he is away. He name is Shay. Since I'm deployed, I guess I'll tell a Soldier story as well. Its about SSG Allen. He was one of my medics, KIA in Baghdad on 4 Jan 07. He left behind a wife and son. He was an outstanding soldier and medic, completely dedicated to his soldiers and job. However, his wife and son were the most important things in his life. He lived for them and served his country to protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Mike. Shay is hot and she's amazing. I would be a mess if I were in her shoes. Not only does she do a great job but she maintains a positive attitude all the while. You rule, Shayzer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, but I have tons of help. My parents help out a lot! If I were really all by myself, I'd be a mess too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are sweet stories, Shay! Although I totally agree with Mike too - you're amazing Shay! I'm not sure I could do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a hero story as well. It is about this boy who has always been there for his sister no matter what. This boy always stood up for his sister growing up and would always try to help her out when he was able to. When this boy was in college, he got married to an amazing girl. This amazing girl also helped out the boy's sister. This sister looks up to her brother and sister in law. The married couple has saved the sister's life in so many ways. Wondering who these people are? I am Andi, Michael's sister. I love you both Michael and Shay. Michael and Shay, you are both the best. You are both in my thoughts daily along w/ Avary and Michael Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Andi! We love you too! You are also a hero to me, and so are Mike and Cheryl! You have, and continue to always show so much love and support to us!

    ReplyDelete